Friday, July 16, 2010

Excuse me, what did you say?

The month of July has always had a certain sweet spot in my heart. I mean...not as much as March who showers me with cooler temps and the annual SXSW film fest (and now recently the death of my daddy which will always be remembered). And certainly not as much as October, which holds high ratings because it's my birth month and well...THAT's cause for celebrating. ALWAYS. No, July hasn't meant nearly as much as those other months, but it has sprinkled me with memories of awesome bike trips, European adventures, firework displays on New York rooftops, and watching the riders of the Tour de France.

Yet THIS July IS special because THIS July I was proposed to by my boyfriend-now fiance-soon-to-be husband (what?!) Jed Rogers.

Oh yeah.

Pretty much the most awesome thing ever. And don't you dare think that the story isn't blog worthy...to keep it light it will read as follows (recapped information as much as I know)

June 22nd:
My mom's birthday, and probably the most nerve-racking day of Jed's life (thus far? maybe?).
Jed "pops" in to wish mom a happy birthday (bouquet of flowers in hand cue, "awwwws")
After chit chat, he wiggles. squirms. and asks my mom formally for my hand in marriage. If it were the middle ages he would've brought a cow and a chicken, that's how much of a stand up guy he is...

June 23rd:
Jed returns to mom's office appearing before a bunch of middle-aged women grinning ear to ear because of course they've already seen the ring in which Amy's to inherit and know that HE's the one that's gonna give it to her...

but when?

(you see where I'm going with this whole "i love july" thing, right?)

fast forward (cuz you ain't got all day) to July 4th...
It was brought up in an email that since we were to be staying in Austin for the 4th instead of traveling to another race in Kansas that watching the fireworks after a picnic would be a good date...

Jed: "Hi baby!

If I can't climb the ladder to get on the roof...

Would you like to pedal down to the river Sunday night with a blanket, the flask, and some snacks?

I love you!"


me: "that sounds great, baby! I hope it doesn't rain!"


And so it was (without the flask, tho) that a blanket and snacks and two people made their way down to the river, and watched the sky light up.


There's me saying "Oo! I like that one!" after every explosion, and Jed being abnormally quiet but pleasant. There's me not noticing an abnormally quiet Jed and pointing to kids playing and saying "Oh! look at that kid, ha! How cute!" And Jed agreeing but more or less still staying quiet. And then there's Jed reaching out after the last firework went off saying, "Look! there's one more!"


And as I looked to see what black spot he was pointing at in the sky I realized that he wasn't pointing at all but rather holding a ring between his thumb and forefinger.


"Will you marry me?"


My brain: Excuse me, what did he say?"

But my heart knew what he said...and I burst into tears before I got to answer but sniffled and snotted out a "yes, of course!" in time.


And THAT, my friends, is why July has not only held a sweet spot in my memory bank, but has totally robbed those other months out of any better memories for the future (thus far. maybe?)



2 comments:

  1. You're awesome...

    ...and I'm slow in that I haven't read this until just now.

    It was a sweet surprise, though. MWAHHH!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read this... and I cried a little. Look out, I think I'm becoming a softie. =)

    So glad you are one of the family. No, seriously.

    ReplyDelete