Thursday, July 23, 2009

A slight setback turns to conquering switchbacks!

Day 9-10-and 11: from Scotia to Bodega Bay...

There were 4 mile climbs, hairpin turns, sweeping descents, and a whole lot of chamois butter over the last 3 days.

Entering California brought steeper climbs like the Leggett hill. On day 9 I completed the route but with wincing knee cap pain caused from all the cumulative riding.

Day 10 we awoke in Leggett to tackle it's fabled "hill". I slammed some ibuprofen and enjoyed the climb over 1800 feet. It was spectacular. However, the pain didn't stop so I sagged the rest of the way in the mothership motorhome that's been following us all this time. Out of all the terrain, hills, and weather, choosing to rest was the hardest thing.

Day 11 was a spicy 99 miles from Mendecino to Bodega Bay, CA. I can't upload pictures right now because of no service, but this was the most beautiful coastline vistas of the entire trip. So beautiful that tears came to my eyes not from the grade of the pavement but from the no shoulder "I'm on the edge of the world" winding road we were riding. It was stunning. Took my breath away but not enough for me not to finish. A great comeback.

Day 12 (today) knee is feeling great and we have a 64 mile route to our final destination Sausalito, CA.

More soon! Particularly pics from the GG bridge!

No comments:

Post a Comment